Friday, March 16, 2012

Garden Unit

Let me start by sharing a fun fact about myself. I was blessed to find the love of my life, John, at my school. He is our school PE Coach. (so cute, right?!) Anyway, he is Mr. Green Thumb and loooooves to garden! He had been wanting to create a school garden at our school for a couple of years and last year we decided to combine forces! =) Kindergarten a big focus of our science curriculum is plants and their life cycle... so I thought, what better way to really understand this than a garden! We call it our "KinderGarden". Now last year, my kids LOVED it. They helped him mix our very own soil, plant seeds and transplants, the whole works... however, I feel we may have started it a little late and i've heard many people first harvest in a new garden isn't the best. We did not have the produce that I had hoped for but I feel the kids got so much more out of our plant unit that year than any other year I had taught on plants. 

This year will be year 2 in our little KinderGarden and I am so excited!! We get paid on Monday, (PTL!!), so we will be spending quite a bit of time in the garden this week after school and during class with our kiddos. I am working like a mad lady to finish up my little garden unit and thought I would give you a preview... well, it's the front page, but still! Be on the look out, I hope to have it done by Sunday! 




1 comment: